(Read: Now linking PAN card with Aadhaar number is easier)
To link Aadhaar number with PAN card, you need to visit the website of most e-filing (https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/) and follow these instructions.
1. If you are visiting this website for the first time, first click on **Register Here**. After this, by giving the details of PAN, create a password after OTP verification. After this you have to login.
2. If you already have an account just click on **Login here**.
3. You have to enter your PAN number in the user ID. After this enter the password, and then the captcha code. Finally click on ** Login **.
4. After this a pop up window will appear in which you will be asked to link the Aadhaar number. After this enter the Aadhaar number and then the captcha code. Finally click on **Link now**.
5. If you don’t see the popup window, don’t worry. You can still easily link both the numbers. For this, go to the profile settings visible in the top menu. After this click on the option with **Link Aadhaar**.
6. After this enter your Aadhaar number and then click on **Save**.
Explain that this method will work only when the details of PAN card and Aadhaar card match completely. The government has tried to simplify the system for those whose details on both the cards do not exactly match. Now you just have to provide a scanned copy of your PAN card for this. Apart from this, the tax department is also planning to provide an online option in this regard. It will give an option to taxpayers to link Aadhaar on its e-filing portal. In this option they have to opt for One Time Password (OTP) without changing their name. To opt for this option, he will have to provide the date of birth mentioned in both his documents and on matching, he will be able to link PAN with Aadhaar online. It seems that this option is not provided yet.
Hope this information will prove to be very useful for you while filing income tax.