Tata Motors has issued a press statement informing that the cause of the fire in the Tata Nexon EV was actually an unauthorized repair. The company says that the car underwent unauthorized repair work, following which the thermal incident related to the left headlamp of the Nexon EV occurred. The company says that they found in the investigation that the repair of this car was done in an unauthorized workshop.
The statement read, “This is with reference to the thermal incident that occurred on April 16, 2023 at Katraj, Pune. All aboard are safe. A team of technical experts has conducted a detailed investigation into the incident and we would like to share an update with you. We understand that the vehicle recently underwent repairs in which the left headlamp was replaced at an unauthorized workshop.”
The statement further added, “Over an extended period of time, this resulted in a short and trapped heatsink. There were deficiencies in the fitment and repair process at the unauthorized workshop, which led to a thermal phenomenon caused by an electrical fault in the headlamp area.” . The affected area is concentrated only in the area of repairs carried out. We have engaged with the customer to provide all assistance required.”
Electric vehicle technology is of course new and not all non-OEM workshops are capable of handling and understanding this new technology. In such a situation, we would also advise you to take your electric vehicle to the authorized rear workshop only in case of a fault.